Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Our heritages

  1. #41
    Inactive Member jlogemann17's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    On my Mom's side we call ourselves Heinz 57- a little bit of everything European. On my dad's side I'm 1/2 Bohemian (my grandma was a first generation immigrant) and 1/2 "American"- my grandpa would never admit to being anything but American, and as far back as we can trace the heritage they're in America. He must be something European, too though- certainly not Native American.

  2. #42
    chrstnwmn7
    Guest chrstnwmn7's Avatar

    Post

    Two years ago I couldn't have answered this question. I was adopted and was reunited with my biological grandmother this summer. She shared my heritage. I am part Irish, Scottish, and Ukrainian (spelling?). How wonderful it is that I know this now!!!

  3. #43
    AG Crazy in Wyoming
    Guest AG Crazy in Wyoming's Avatar

    Post

    100% Irish heritage here. Sandy, strawberry blonde hair, green eyes and I have finally grown out of my freckles woo hoo. Married to another Irish bloke. DH can trace his relatives wayyyy back. He's a freckle face with a lot of red in his beard/ 'stache but has dark brown hair. We tease he must have some of that northern Protestant in him. DD is a strawberry blond with fair skin, green eyes and freckles in the summer, much to her delight.(Not!) HA. ~Bugs

  4. #44
    Inactive Member MegadethLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2006
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Like chrstwmn was a couple years ago I don't know for sure. I suppose I am English.

  5. #45
    Inactive Member ErinGoBraugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Posts
    182
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm about 3/4 Irish, and the rest is a smattering of English, Dutch, and French. My grandma has a page of passport photos from when our relatives came over from Ireland. They're black and white photos, but you can just TELL that they all had flaming red hair!

  6. #46
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by auri:
    I am an American. [img]smile.gif[/img] ....I am deeply and profoundly grateful to each and every one of [my ancestors] for coming here and enduring the hardships they did. I really do hope that someday, in an afterlife, I'll be able to tell them that in person.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Auri, I am 100% with you in that sentiment! [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img]

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 24, 2006 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Jeanette M. ]</font>

  7. #47
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Considering that ethnicity is really just a function of where you were born, I'm American. My ancestors were mostly German, with a small Irish contingent, and a smattering of Dutchmen. Of course if you looked at me you'd never guess any of those. That's pretty much all the proof I need that I'm just plain ol' american.

  8. #48
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are you sure you want to know? LOL!
    My dad is 100% southern Italian, but that means his ancestors were originally Etruscan (Greek) and Spanish, but [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img] don't tell him that! He thinks he is descended from Romans. On his father's side, he COULD be descended from a Visgoth (germanic) guadrian of the Emperor but no one has been able to prove that our name comes from this guy. I strongly identify with my Italian heritage and someday I would love to make an AG out of my grandmother who came from Italy when she was 8.

    On my mom's side, her father is German/PA Dutch and Russian Jewish possibly from Poland. I don't know much about his family at all except that his family's last name was changed when they came to America.

    My mom's mother's mother's family is Scandinavian. My great-great grandmother came from Norway and comes from a long line of strong, independent women. We know quite a lot about them and my grandmother, my mom and I identify with our Norwegian heritage. My great-great grandmother came from Denmark, from the place where Kathrine is originally from. It was annexed by Germany, and he considered himself Danish, so he left Denmark rather than be drafted into the German army. He married my great-great grandmother in NYC in the late 1800's because he needed a housekeeper and she needed someone to take care of her since she was newly arrived. They had an unhappy relationship and he developed a drinking problem and died when my great-grandmother was 13. His family blamed my great-great grandmother for his death and cut off contact with the family.

    My grandmother's father was all-American! He had an ancestor from England who came in the 1600's, a descendent from that family married a French Hugeonot (Protestant) and there was also someone Dutch in the family. My great-grandfather also had an ancestor from Ireland. I am 1/32 Irish-not enough to count.

    In summary
    1/2 Italian
    1/16 Norwegian
    1/16 Danish
    1/8 Russian Jewish
    1/8 German/PA Dutch

  9. #49
    Inactive Member colettedenali's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2004
    Posts
    426
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My ancestors walked here several thousand years ago. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    I'm half American Indian, from the Pueblo of Isleta. I'm also 3/8 French and 1/8 Turkish. On the European side of the family, we're fairly recent immigrants from the Normandy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •